What Is Abuse? > Teen Dating Violence Prevention
Teen Dating Violence
Violence occurs in teen dating relationships in the same rate and with the same severity as in adult relationships. Control may be increased if the abusive partner attends the same school making it difficult for the abused partner to have personal space and safety. Personal safety is essential.
If you or someone you know is experiencing abuse, call our 24 hour hotline at
Teen Dating Statistics
- About 1 in 3 high school students have been or will be involved in an abusive relationship.
- 40% of teenage girls ages 14 to 17 say they know someone their age who has been hit or beaten by a boyfriend.
- 30 to 50 percent of female high school students reported having already experienced teen dating violence.
- One of five college females will experience some form of dating violence.
- One study found that 38 percent of date rape victims were young women from 14 to 17 years of age.
- More than half young women raped (68 percent) knew their rapist either as a boyfriend, friend or casual acquaintance.
- Six out of 10 rapes of young women occur in their own home or a friend or relative's home, not in a dark alley.