HAWC offers a variety of different volunteer opportunities for those interested in becoming involved with our agency.
The following opportunities require an orientation to the agency:
- Holiday Giving Program assistant
- Organize donations for our winter Holiday Store and guide clients as they choose gifts. This position is during the month of December.
- Document translation
- Translate legal and other documents into Spanish, Portuguese, Haitian Creole, Khmer or other languages.
- Walk for HAWC support
- Support during the annual Walk for HAWC event in April. Volunteers help with set up, registration, food service, crowd control, water stop staffing, clean up, and other jobs, as needed.
- MSW clinical supervision provider
- Volunteer one hour per week to provide clinical supervision for a HAWC intern that requires it.
The following opportunities require HAWC’s 33-hour training:
- Administrative assistant/ clerical work
- Duties include answering our business line, greeting visitors, making copies, processing donations, preparing bulk mailings, entering data, and other computer projects.
- Answer calls on HAWC’s 24 hour hotline. Guide callers through safety planning, give community referrals, and keep a log of calls.
- VOCA Court Volunteer
- Assist individuals seeking restraining and harassment orders in Gloucester and Peabody District courts.
- SAFEPLAN Court Volunteer
- Assist individuals seeking restraining and harassment orders in Salem and Lynn District courts, as well as Essex County Family and Probate.
- In addition to HAWC’s 33-hour training, SAFEPLAN Volunteers will attend a 4 day training in Lawrence through the Massachusetts Office of Victim Assistance.
The following opportunities are available after 6 months of volunteering on the hotline, in court, or in our office:
- Provide childcare for HAWC clients during support groups or in office appointments. This position is on an “as needed” basis.
- Direct service/ intakes
- Complete initial intakes with clients. Collect their story, complete referrals for appropriate services, and communicate information to advocate.
- Trainings, outreach, tabling
- Conduct presentations about HAWC services for local community partners. Attend community events as representative of HAWC. Network and answer questions.
- Support group facilitation
- Co-facilitate weekly support groups for HAWC clients. Groups run both during the day and afterhours on an 8-10 week cycle.
Does your business and organization like to get involved with community? You can also check out our corporate volunteer opportunities here!
Do you have other skills you’d like to contribute to HAWC? Tell us more! Please email us at email@example.com for more information!