Attorney Director of Legal Services
May 23, 2022
Healing Abuse Working for Change, Inc., creates social change by taking action against personal and societal patterns of violence and oppression. For the past 43 years, HAWC has provided free services and support to survivors of domestic abuse on Massachusetts’ North Shore to help them make informed, independent decisions about their futures. More information is available at www.hawcdv.org.
This full time 40 hours/week position provides emergency civil legal counsel to victims of domestic violence, including, but not limited to, filing abuse and harassment prevention orders and obtaining emergency custody/visitation rights when such actions are directly connected to family violence cases and the health and safety of the victim. The Attorney Director of Legal Services will also be responsible for conducting weekly legal clinics at HAWC’s various offices. This position supervises HAWC’s Manager of Legal Services and oversees the legal department which includes three legal advocates, pro bono attorneys, and a team of legal volunteers. This position reports to the Executive Director and is part of the leadership guiding the agency in matters of legislative and policy advocacy.
The position is full-time with generous benefits, flexible work schedule, including work from home, and salary commensurate with experience in the range of $76,000-$86,000. A $500 bonus is available after three months of employment in good standing and a second bonus of $500 available after six months of employment in good standing.
Summary of Benefits:
- 3 weeks of vacation per year during first year; increases at year 5, carryover of 2 weeks
- 13 Holidays off per year
- 13 Sick days per year
- 5 Personal days per year
- 70% Health Insurance paid by HAWC
- 70% Dental Insurance paid by HAWC
- 70% Paid Family & Medical Leave paid by HAWC
- 100% Short & Long Term Disability paid by HAWC
- 100% Employee Assistance Plan paid by HAWC
- 100% paid Life Insurance (1x annual salary up to $50,000)
- Health Reimbursement Account (HAWC pays first 50% of deductible)
- Flexible Spending Account
- 401K plan
Position Experience & Qualifications:
- Licensed and in good standing to practice law in Massachusetts
- Commitment/experience working with victims of domestic violence
- 5-10 years of experience in family law and/or immigration law preferred
- Excellent organizational skills, ability to manage multiple priorities at once and the ability to work independently
- Commitment to promoting cultural competency and inclusivity
- Excellent verbal and written communications
- Bi-lingual/Bi-cultural capacity preferred
- Completion of HAWC’s 30 hour pre-service training in compliance with M.G.L. 233 s.20(k) or the equivalent of same
- Maintain minimal case load of direct representation cases, including full and limited assistance
- Conduct weekly legal clinics at HAWC’s various offices
- Supervise HAWC’s Manager of Legal Services and oversee legal department
- Recruit, train & supervise volunteer attorneys participating in HAWC legal clinics and/or representing HAWC clients
- Provide introductory and continuing education legal trainings for staff, volunteers and community partners in collaboration with the Senior Manager of Educational Programming and Legal Services Manager
- Complete statistical data forms for every client contact and case outcomes
- Attends regular supervision, team meetings and all staff meetings
- Able to flex hours to meet position responsibilities
Please send a letter of interest and current resume to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Attorney Director of Legal Services” in the subject line.
HAWC is an Equal Opportunity Employer. HAWC does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion, gender or gender identity, familial status, disability, ancestry, age, marital status, public assistance status or genetic information. Survivors, people who are bilingual/bicultural, persons of color, people with disabilities and members of the LGBTQ community are strongly encouraged to apply.