Healing Abuse Working for Change
Healing Abuse Working for Change, Inc., creates social change by taking action against personal and societal patterns of violence and oppression. For the past 43 years, HAWC has provided free services and support to survivors of domestic abuse on Massachusetts’ North Shore to help them make informed, independent decisions about their futures. More information is available at www.hawcdv.org.
Job Description: Domestic Violence Advocate- Salem Office
Date: November 1, 2021
This fulltime, 40 hours/week position is responsible for providing crisis intervention, advocacy and referral services to survivors of domestic violence through our community office in Salem, MA. This is an exempt position with annual compensation of $37,211 with an additional $1,408 annual compensation for bilingual language skills. This position is scheduled for 9am-5pm Monday- Friday with some flexibility required for infrequent after-hours client support needs. The position is based out of HAWC’s Salem office and is supervised by HAWC’s Director of Programs and Community Partnerships.
- Provide support, crisis intervention, advocacy and information and referral services to survivors of domestic violence
- Complete intakes and follow up sessions with clients
- Maintain a client caseload, providing follow-up contact and services as needed
- Complete statistical paperwork for each client contact
- Co-facilitate support groups in rotation with other Advocates
- Participate in meetings with other local agencies
- Participate in outreach/tabling events with the local community
- Participate in HAWC’s 30-hour training of new staff and volunteers
- Participate in hotline coverage rotation (roughly six-eight weeks per year, Mon-Fri 8am-9pm, additional stipend provided)
- Attend regular supervision, team meetings and all staff meetings
- Able to flex hours to meet position responsibilities
- Must have reliable access to transportation
- Familiarity with basic computer/internet use
- Bilingual/Bicultural strongly preferred
- Commitment to and experience providing trauma-informed support to survivors of domestic violence
- Strong interpersonal and communication (verbal and written) skills
- Commitment to promoting equity and inclusion amongst clients, team members and community members
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively as part of a team
- Ability to multitask
- Creative use of critical problem-solving
- Motivated and resourceful
HAWC is an Equal Opportunity Employer. HAWC does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion, gender or gender identity, familial status, disability, ancestry, age, marital status, public assistance status or genetic information. Survivors, people who are bilingual/bicultural, persons of color, people with disabilities and members of the LGBTQ+ community are strongly encouraged to apply.
Please email cover letter and resume to Jillian Nebesar at JillianN@hawcdv.org with “Domestic Violence Advocate- Salem” in the subject line, or mail to HAWC Attn: Jillian Nebesar, 27 Congress St. Ste. 204, Salem, MA 01970.