Position Title: Shelter Advocate(s)
Effective Date: upon hire
Reports To: Shelter Manager
HAWC is seeking dedicated individuals to provide support and services to survivors of domestic violence and their families living in HAWC’s emergency shelter. Part-time and full time opportunities are available. Anticipated schedule will include shifts on Thursday, 8:00 am – 12:00 pm, Saturday and Sunday, 8:00 am – 2:00 pm. This role is paid on an hourly basis and requires working weekends, holidays and overnight shifts. Primary responsibilities include ensuring participant safety through adherence to shelter policies and protocols, responding to and communicating shelter participants’ needs to fellow HAWC staff and Shelter Manager as appropriate, light cleaning, and staffing in HAWC’s 24 hour hotline.
- Experience working with & commitment to empowering survivors of domestic abuse
- Experience in crisis intervention
- Active listening skills
- Good organizational skills
- Bilingual/Bicultural preferred
- Ensure safety of shelter participants & staff through adherence to HAWC shelter policies & protocols
- Read daily log at the beginning of each shift then document client updates, crisis intervention, safety concerns & maintenance issues before the end of every shift
- Provide oral update to fellow HAWC staff at shift change
- Prepare, clean and inspect rooms for next family before entry and after exit
- Organize & inventory shelter resources for participants, including bedding, food, clothing & toiletries
- Clean & maintain staff office, office fridge, staff bathroom and basement stairs
- Complete shift rounds on each floor for safety, including room checks & inspection of all bathrooms
- Maintain petty cash, gift card, & cab voucher logs, medication discount cards and program files
- Facilitate & participate in Shelter programs for participants such as Support Groups & Children’s events
- Conduct screening and intakes for new Shelter participants
- Provide direct service with shelter participants and children as needed
- Attend regular supervision and team meetings, monthly staff meetings.
- Participate in hotline coverage
- Enter data into data system of all case management & hotline calls
- Work with volunteers/interns as needed
- Puts into practice workplace and team values
- Able to flex hours to meet position responsibilities
- Be available for other shifts as requested
- Availability to work weekends, holidays and overnight shifts is required
- Participate in HAWC pre-service training, make site visits to other agency locations and any additional training required
Compensation is commensurate with experience.
To apply: please send resume and cover letter to Sara Stanley at firstname.lastname@example.org or 27 Congress Street, Suite 204, Salem, MA 01970
HAWC is an equal opportunity employer committed to values of inclusion, empowerment and social justice. As a multicultural organization, we actively encourage applicants who represent the broadest range of diversity to apply. Bilingual candidates are encouraged to apply.