Healing Abuse Working for Change, Inc., creates social change by taking action against personal and societal patterns of violence and oppression. For the past 40 years, HAWC has provided free services and support to victims of domestic abuse on Massachusetts’ North Shore to help them make informed, independent decisions about their futures. More information is available at www.hawcdv.org.
This a 40 hour a week position provides crisis intervention, advocacy and referral services to survivors of domestic violence in our Salem Office. Position reports to the Director of Programs. This is a salaried position beginning at a $17.00/hourly rate and potential raise following a four month review.
Qualifications & Requirements
- Bilingual in English and Spanish or Portuguese highly preferred
- Commitment/experience working with survivors of domestic violence
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Commitment to promoting cultural competency and social justice values
- Strong verbal and written skills
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Ability to multitask
- Motivated and resourceful
- Complete HAWC’s 30 hour pre-service training for new staff and volunteers
- Put into practice workplace and team values
- Able to flex hours to meet position responsibilities
- Must have access to transportation
Position Duties & Responsibilities
- Provides support, crisis intervention, advocacy, information and referral services to victims of domestic violence
- Completes intakes and ongoing advocacy with clients
- Provides follow-up telephone calls and services to victims as needed
- Enters statistical data in database for each client contact
- Facilitates support groups
- Participates in meetings with other local agencies, such as High Risk Teams, DCF, and others
- Participates in outreach/tabling events from the local community
- Maintains a client caseload
- Participates in grant development, special events and fundraising as needed
- Participates in hotline and after-hours On-Call rotation
- Attends regular supervision, team meetings and all staff meetings
- Ability to work remotely and adhere to Remote Work Policy
HAWC is an Equal Opportunity Employer. HAWC does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion, gender or gender identity, familial status, disability, ancestry, age, marital status, public assistance status or genetic information. Survivors, people who are bilingual/bicultural, persons of color, people with disabiliteis and LGBTQ people are strongly encouraged to apply.
Please email cover letter and resume to Jillian Nebesar at Jilliann@hawcdv.org with “Community-Based Domestic Violence Advocate – Salem” in the subject line or mail to HAWC Attn: Program Director, 27 Congress St. Ste. 204, Salem, MA 01970.